Properties that sit vacant and empty for too long tend to invite crime and decay. Many charitable organizations can’t find affordable places to meet and hold events. Bring the two together and you’ve got 3Space, a UK program that matches vacant spaces with people who need to use them for temporary pop-up projects.
3Space works in partnership with landlords and leaseholders to offer otherwise empty properties to organizations that benefit the community, free of charge. The properties remain on the market, but they’re available until they sell, which can take a year or longer in some cases.
Landlords across the United Kingdom are eager to participate in the project, as the groups that use the spaces tend to attract positive attention to the properties. Spaces range from five floors of office space in central London to a vacant retail store in northern Scotland.
The groups using the spaces are just as diverse, including autism awareness organizations, sports teams, environmental activists and theater troupes. They just have to be registered non-profits. Learn more at 3Space.org.
Want More? Click for Great Related Content on WebUrbanist:
Shipping containers are becoming ever-more-popular sources of design inspiration in new architectural designs, from personal residences to big commercial building plans.
9 Comments – Click Here to Read More »»
Performance art at its best is when the performers, their environment and the audience all interact. This amazing urban dance project accomplishes that and more.
7 Comments – Click Here to Read More »»
[ By Steph in Architecture & Cities & Urbanism. ]
Visitors Who Read This Post Also Read
- Container Urbanism: Reclaimed Pop-Up Structures
- Crazy Cargo: 30 Steel Shipping Container Home Designs
- 20 Shipping Container Cities, Apartments and Emergency Shelters
- Recycled Cargo Container Bridge Spans Environmental Gap
- Working It: 30 Cargo Container Offices, Stores and Businesses
- Alley Stack: Brooklyn Home Made of 5 Shipping Containers
- High-Rise Hoagies: Ground Zero Shipping Container Eatery
- Stacked on Silos: Shipping Containers Reclaimed as Dorms